Frequently Asked Questions
Explore the magnificent Pittwater!
1) Palm Beach Ferry Services operates the following services:
- Palm Beach to Ettalong via Wagstaffe: Linking Sydney’s Northern Beaches to the Central Coast
- Palm Beach – Bennett’s – Bonnie Doon – Basin – Currawong – Mackerel: Scenic 45-minute round trip cruise within Pittwater stopping at the Basin picnic and camping ground.
- Charters and Cruises – for a special function why not charter a ferry and cruise the scenic Pittwater and Hawkesbury River area. Please contact 9974 2411 for further information, or email your enquiry to email@example.com
2) Palm Beach Ferry services do not operate services to:
- Patonga or Bobbin Head – Please contact Palm Beach & Hawkesbury River Cruises on 0414 466 635
- Circular Quay & Manly
There are no ferry services to Circular Quay or Manly. You can catch buses from Palm Beach, for details please visit the links at the bottom of the page.
There are no Car Ferry services connecting the Northern Beaches and Central Coast.
Ettalong service Trip Duration
- Palm Beach to Ettalong – 25 minutes (approximately)
- Palm Beach to Wagstaff – 20 minutes (approximately)
- Palm Beach to the Basin – 20 minutes (approximately)
- Wagstaff to Palm Beach – 30 Minutes (approximately)
- Ettalong to Palm Beach – 25 minutes (approximately)
Where can I purchase my tickets?
Tickets can be purchased at two locations:
- At our shop located opposite the palm beach wharf
- On-board: Fares are collected onboard – Cash or EFTPOS & Credit Card facilities are available on all services.
For group travel please notify the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 9974 2411.
Please visit our Fares and Prices page.
Are discounts available?
Yes, we offer concession rates for seniors, pensioners, unemployed & full time students
(Cards accepted are: Centre link, NSW War Widow/er, VIC War Widow/er, Seniors Card, NSW Government Concession Card. All Cards must be shown prior to boarding)
Please Note: We do not offer any family or group discounts
Is there parking available near the wharves?
Yes, however it is limited and gets extremely busy in summer so allow extra time to ensure you don’t miss the ferry!
There is a Council Car park adjacent to the Palm Beach ferry wharf.
- Long Term parking fees can be paid by cash/coins, credit card.
- Northern Beaches rate sticker – free parking
On street along Barrenjoey Road or Iluka Road is free.
Parking at Ettalong
- Parking on Ferry Rd is limited on weekends to maximum 2hrs. Parking available along Ocean View Rd
- Palm Beach Wharf: Pittwater Park, 1151-1153 Barrenjoey Road
- Wagstaff Wharf: Mulhall Street (off Wagstaffe Avenue)
- Ettalong Wharf: Ferry Road (off Ocean View/Booker Bay Road)
Can I bring?
- Bicycle on board – Yes (additional $3.00 for cartage)
- Dog on board – Yes, must be on a lead always and be outside (no Charge)
- Camping Equipment – Yes, however a cartage fee may be charged for excessive amounts (this price varies depending on quantity of equipment)
How can I get from Sydney CBD to Palm Beach?
- Catch the L90 bus from York St. Wynyard
- Please contact State Transit for further information on 131 500
How can I get from Palm Beach wharf to Manly?
- You can catch an L90 bus from Palm Beach and then change buses at Warringah Mall. Please contact State Transit for further information on 131 500
How can I get from Palm Beach wharf to Newport?
- You can catch an L90 bus from Palm Beach (opposite wharf). Please contact State Transit for further information on 131 500
How can I get from Ettalong wharf to Gosford?
- Buses depart from Ettalong (main shopping village). Please contact Busways for further information www.busways.com.au Ph. 4368 2277
Things to Do
1) At Ettalong
- Dine at one of the local cafes, clubs or restaurants
- Visit the local markets (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Beaches * Tourism@ettalongdiggers.com (02) 43 430140
Please contact Central Coast Tourism on 4385 8586 for further information or visit their website www.cctourism.com.au/
2) At Palm Beach?
- Dine at several cafes, clubs and restaurants
- Enjoy fish and chips overlooking Pittwater
- Walk (15minutes) or catch a bus and visit famous Palm Beach or “Summer Bay” (Home & Away)
- Take a walk to Barrenjoey Lighthouse (trail starts at the base of headland on the Pittwater side)
- Catch connecting ferry to the Basin (Ku ring gai National Park) for bush walks to Aboriginal engravings; walk to Great Mackerel Beach ….
Please visit the following sites for further areas of interest on Sydney’s Northern Beaches: www.wherewelive.com.au www.sydneynorthernbeaches.com.au
- Fantasea Palm Beach Information www.palmbeachferries.com.au
- Central Coast Tourism www.cctourism.com.au/
- Northern Beaches Visitors Guide http://www.wherewelive.com.au/
- Tourism NSW http://www.visitnsw.com.au/
- Manly Visitor Centre www.manlytourism.com
- National Parks and Wildlife www.npws.nsw.gov.au
- Barrenjoey House www.bearrenjoeyhouse.com.au
- Jonah’s luxury Accommodation www.jonahs.com.au
- Palm Beach Studio escapes www.palmbeachstudio.com.au
- Palm Beach Holiday letting www.palmbeachholidayletting.com.au
- Beach Stays www.beach-stays.com.au
- Basin Campground Bookings – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park P: 02 9974 1011.
- Beechwood Cottage Bookings – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park P: 02 9974 1011.
- Mantra Ettalong Beach – www.mantrettalongbeach.com.au
Local Café’s, Restaurants and Clubs
- Ettalong Beach Memorial Club www.ettalongbeachclub.com.au
- Ettalong Bowling Club www.ettalongbowlingclub.net
- The Box on the Water 02 4339 3369
- Hardy’s Bay RSL Restaurant – Phone (02) 4360 1999
- Palm Beach RSL P: (02) 9974 5566
- Barrenjoey House Restaurant www.barrenjoeyhouse.com.au
- The Greedy Goat: 1031 Barrenjoey Rd., Palm Beach 9974 2555 www.thegreedygoat.com.au
- Pronto Creative Food Café: 1095 Barrenjoey Rd., Palm Beach 9974 5695
- The Boathouse: 9974 5440 www.theboathousepb.com.au
- Sydney Bus www.sydneybuses.nsw.gov.au
- Central Coast – Busways Gosford www.busways.com.au
- Central Coast Ferries www.centralcoastferries.com.au
- Other www.whereis.com.au
Some Of Our Happy Customers!
“Essential Palm Beach Activity- Fabulous fun.”
Get you across to the basin and other river beach area including camping with facilities. Inexpensive way to see Pittwater and Hawkesbury areas- and the tea is not bad,
“Way to travel”
Travel by ferry from Ettalong to Palm Beach is charming, especially if you don’t get to experience waterways like this.Use the bus (Opal Card) to get around.
“Ettalong to Palm Beach ferry service”
We took the opportunity to enjoy the water experiences offered by Fantasea. We caught the ferry at Wagstaffe, which is a lovely quiet spot on the Box Head peninsular. We had a great ride via Booker Bay Wharf as Ettalong wharf was being “improved”. Palm Beach was warm and relaxed on a sunny winter’s day.
“A breath of fresh air!”
A great way to add another dimension to the Northern Beaches. Took the Ettalong ferry over the Hawkesbury River, dog and bike friendly, clean and comfy, value at $11return. A nice blast of sea air and worth a visit to the Paranga?pub. Just do it.